Monday, November 9, 2009

Reels

What makes a good director/DP/demo/work sample reel you ask? Cut and dry: if it's good you will get a job so it needs to have strong statement shots that show who you are and what your vision is. In less boring terms: it needs to inspiring. it needs to show how the world looks through your eyes. It can show your preferences - if you like to shoot people, or light, or landscapes, or details, or if you like artificial light v natural, everything you do without thinking about. It also can show how you edit/piece things together to make a story.


Good Reel:

2009 CINEMATOGRAPHY REEL from Clint Litton on Vimeo.

I really liked this video. I'd like it more if I could take out some of the people stuff, but there are some AMAZING shots. I really like natural light/elements and this plays with that. It also sort of has a story line and the shots make sense together.

I also liked this video (click it! It's off of YouTube). This is an example of a DP who obviously likes to shoot people. It shows off his diversity and all sorts of shots he can create. While I like people, I don't like them nearly this much, but I thought this reel was pretty awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment