Monday, November 9, 2009

I like to movement movement...

Okay, so this is a little late. However, I have done some looking around, and after playing with different toys (vest, dolly, wheel, wheelbarrow, etc) I feel like I understand more. You can accomplish many different looks with a camera if you just know how to do it.

I found some vertigo shots on youtube:

But I haven't decided if I really like this technique. Granted it looks really cool, and can be appropriate, and is pretty difficult to do, buttttt it kind of makes me sick. So, I guess if it calls for it, I'd try it, but as for right now, I have a stomachache just watching these. Good if its good, bad if its bad. Which I guess is how a lot of movement techniques are.

Jib shots: i've seen a lot of these used in opening scenes. They see something happen then lift up (i'm just assuming it's a jib) to the horizon or sky or something and show the title. I think it is a good transition affect.

Track through solid: which is a cool visual trick - like when you get a glimpse into the next door apartment when the camera goes "through the wall". it's pretty cool usually, but I don't like it when it is done really fast - like in Fight Club (see my shot-by-shot) when the camera races down the wall through floors to the basement. I can't knock it too much, since it was a good and fast transition but it, again, gave me a stomachache.

I figured music videos would probably have lots of movement. So I youtubed.
I found a lot of dolly shots - first are the walk with the camera and sing, something that is pretty common in a music video:
Rihanna - "take a bow"





Coldplay - "yellow"
This is basically all he does the whole movie - walk along the beach with the camera, but its still a pretty good song.




Weird Al - "White and Nerdy"
Such a funny guy - I just had to include him




Next we have another dolly shot:

Follow the segue!





And finally a reveal shot:
Aw cute right....





Not for much longer!!

Pink "So What"



Well thats all for now!
Tootle-loo.

No comments:

Post a Comment