Wednesday, November 18, 2009

La Déclaration de l'artiste

Where do I begin? I am 20 years old, and I have not figured it all out yet. How could I? I still have so much left to do, explore, and discover. I want to give our pessimistic little world a peek at how beautiful and wonderful it really is. We as humans are constantly getting caught up in our own daily lives and the 'big picture' and forget to slow down and see the little things, my favorite things. I am passionate about raindrops, wrinkles, and flower petals. I believe everything and everyone is beautiful, you just have to know how to look at it. That is where I come in. I, as an artist, have a duty to point you in the right direction and give the neglected a second glance. If you cannot understand how everything can be so enticing to me, I understand. Our world is fickle, fluid, and ever changing, just like me. I am an optimist who plans for tomorrow, hates surprises, and is easily disappointed. I understand our weird world, because let's face it, I am a little weird too. So please, hear me out, and I will try and explain my ways.

I was raised to love learning and exploring. I was taught to keep moving forward and to figure it out along the way. I believe life is a journey, a treasure map with no clear 'x' marking the spot you are headed towards. Some days this can be very daunting, other days, exciting. In this craft, I can never stop moving, be it forwards, backwards, or sideways. I believe in experimentation. Why not try different angles, colors, speeds, filters? If it works, great, if not, well I had to try eventually!

I am constantly developing as an artist and as a person. The way I see the world today may be very different from how I see it tomorrow. My art is an extension of myself and my thoughts, without me, my art would be meaningless. If I do not know me, my subjects, or my surrounding environment, how I can expect anyone else to understand?

While I am not sure if or when I will have it all figured out, the process has been interesting so far!


No comments:

Post a Comment