Sunday, January 24, 2010

Personal Identity.

Hello bloggers.  I am sitting here in the sanford media lab capturing some footage from Rock the Runway on Thursday (which was pretty awesome, btw) and I figured I should be productive...so i decided to listen to some podcasts.

First I clicked around and found some weird links and things I didn't care to listen to but then I clicked on the guerrilla radio show.  I found this one show where they are talking about personal identity.  It wasn't really a story, it was more theory and technical - which, I admit, was kind of boring, but interesting at the same time.  They talked about who we are fundamentally - what can we survive, what can't we survive, are we persistent, how long will we be around?  How do you identify yourself and is it the same as others identify you?  Are we made up of our experiences or are we just who we are because we are biologically programed to be something.  Can someone in the future be exactly the same as you, or are you completely and utterly unique? Is anonymity important, or is it important to identify?  Are we persons, souls, animals or nothing at all?  Can we think - can we all think at the same time, or are we just animals surviving?  Does any of it really matter? 
The Guerrilla Radio Show - Personal Identity
I thought this talk show was pretty interesting - but i wish they had something more than just theory.  I like theory and I like to think about who we are, but i think theory is too stuck in itself to take into consideration how differently humans think.  We all like to think we have ourselves figured out - we spend 24/7/365 together - our mind with our body - but then why do we manage to surprise ourselves?  Or at least, I surprise myself sometimes - do you? Do you know who you are - or do you just look to who you'd like to be?  I am my best researched project, but yet I still see it as quite unfinished...I just hope I can figure it all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment