Monday, January 18, 2010

Hellllo.

So this week we've been talking about self-portraits, so here I go blogging about them :)


First: after looking through a bunch of self-portraits our lovely teacher provided for us, I found one that I thought was so cool.  It kind of reminded me of one of those 'don't do weed' commercials, but either way, I really liked it.  Here is the link for your viewing pleasure.


Second: we had to make our own self-portraits.  So, me being the over-achiever/nerd that I - for better or for worse - very much am, i made two.  But in my defense, it wasn't my original intention.  I wanted to make the "long portrait" of me looking into my webcam for 30 seconds, partially because it'd take me 30 seconds (sorry.) but also because I'd never done it.  I read Dr. R's blog about how exposing it was, and I didn't understand until I sat down and did it.  To be honest, I did it 3 times.  First time my hair was in my face, second the tv was on, and 3rd one was quite with my hair out-ish of my face.  I don't know why it mattered, I look the same in all of them, but watching them was really weird, it was like i was watching me watching myself.  or something. I liked it, but it was pretty exposing.  But after my 3 attempts, I walked down the hall to show one of my 26 roommates (yeah, i live in a madhouse/sorority house) and the only thing she has to say is, "why are you sitting still? i've never seen you do that before, why don't you dance or stretch or be a hippie, that's much more Kate".  So, I did - i danced.  I guess I could classify it as a little hippie, it was a Bowling for Soup song in the background called 'Shut-up and Smile', saying that 'all we need is some ice cream and a hug' which i think is funny.  And a much more accurate representation of me then sitting down staring, something i rarely do.

So here we are: the two self-portraits of Kate.


UNO (still, sedated, "normal" Kate): 
Self-Portrait from UA, Telecommunication and Film on Vimeo.




DOS (obnoxious, dancing, happy, normal Kate): 
Self-Portrait from UA, Telecommunication and Film on Vimeo.


5 comments:

  1. haha i def like the second one better, although the first one is very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them both. Everybody has multiple layers, and it's nice to see two of yours. And such opposites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some how the first video didn't look that awkward, but it should have, merely due to the nature of not doing anything on camera for 30 sec. The second video was very much kate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting read, good job with the videos

    ReplyDelete