Monday, October 5, 2009

Short Films

So, after watching lots of short films I found a few I liked.

First one was off of The Smalls called "Seriatum". (Click the name for the link!) It's kind of cool, but I don't really know what happened? But I think it's this guy's shadow following him and he freaks out and tries to run from it and when it catches up he turns into a dog? See, it's confusing. But the reason I include it is because of the editing, the way they got the 'shadow' or whatever is really cool and is worth taking a look at.

Next one is off of The Smalls again and is called "The Trampolinist" Another cool, very short, film. This one I like because of the shots. All it is is a guy bouncing straight up and down on a trampoline, but it has so many different angles and shots in it you don't think about that. There are shots looking at his feet, from his perspective, under the trampoline, in the dark, in the rain, through the grass, and more and more. It's pretty creative for such a simple act of bouncing.

Next is from Independent Lens and is called "Pin Point" I chose to add this one, not only cause I love animated movies but also because we've been talking about pre-planning. Animation involves a lot because you have to plan your whole story out and then draw every single frame out. Lot-o-work if you ask me. But this story is planned and produced very well - it is a though-provoking, smart, and sad story about an abusive orphan caretaker and the way this little girl decides she is going to get revenge.

The next one is also from Indpendent Lens as is called "Bulletproof vest" It's a black and white film, narrated by a mom and a little girl and a little boy in Richmond, CA. I think it works that it is filmed in black and white because there is no life in these kids childhood. If it had been filmed in color I think it would've made the story a bit too colorful for the story (if that makes sense). This 9 yr old girl wants a bulletproof vest because its not safe to go to the park, she even says that you have to take your parents to block the bullets! The mom won't let her children play outside cause people get shot all the time. It is another sad story, but with some good shots of things around this town and the tent city they set up for peace.

I found a few other films I wanted to talk about, but I have to run for now. I'll try and come back to this post later and let you read more of my thoughts!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment