Tuesday, October 20, 2009

DP, DP, I love DP


This week I learned a lot working on my project. I know the topic is to write about what we learning working with a DP this week...but I didn't have one. My group got sick and I really don't like working last minute. So, I took on a project on my own - a project that I have originally planned to use as extra credit. But rolling with the punches, here we are! So what did I learn? What did I do? How well did I pull it off?
Well-lets start at the beginning. It's not a secret that I'm not great at pre-visualization. But, I did try. I went to the rehearsal ceremony, walked the grounds, talked to the bride, photographer, and owners of the venue. I arrived early on the wedding day and walked the grounds again. I got ideas of shots I needed and knew what I wanted my video to look like. But still - I went through the day getting shots I thought were cool and hoped I could edit them together. I kind of like working like that, but I know I need more structure. Especially since I take way too much footage, and then have to spend hours editing the piece down and together.
I found out that I like cool, kind of artsy close up shots of things you wouldn't really notice. Like the "mother" flower shot, or I got a great shot of the lace tie on her dress but it, sadly, didn't make the video. I also like shots that are from a different angle than you'd think, like through window when they were taking pictures. I also like telling two stories at once (neely/bridesmaids getting ready and alan/groomsmen) then they meet (gazebo) and proceed through the story together.
While I kind of liked working alone, in the sense that I know the shot I want when I see it and I want to figure out how to produce it, it was hard. I'm not sure if I could tell someone exactly what I wanted or saw in my head, but it would've been great to have someone bounce my ideas off of. It also would've been nice to have someone to think about the outside factors. Outside being outside of the small viewer that I seem to get so consumed in. I get lost in what I'm doing so easily that I didn't realize I was standing in the mud and rain for a while! At that point I was forced into holding an umbrella, sinking into the mud, and hoping my shot didn't turn out too terribly. It was a sight to see I'm sure. I think I ended up getting some good shots but if I had someone thinking about cardboard or holding my umbrella, it could've turned out much more study and professional looking.
I think to have/be a good DP you have to share the vision and know what the director wants, their style, and how they operate. They should have freedom but should be an extension of the director. They need to have a fluid relationship and be able to keep up with one and other, because I know once I figure out what I want I do it and then am off and running again. Sometimes I cannot keep up with myself and I need someone who really knows what is going on! I haven't decided what I would rather do - directing or DPing. I like having the power of finding the shots, creating the look, and putting the story together. But I may be good at DPing because someone has created the plan and I know what I need to get. I have an outline of what I need and know what I need to achieve it.
I've still got a lot of time to figure it all out, so until then I'll just keep experimenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment