Sunday, April 18, 2010

Mash Up

Hey friends,

So this week we created a mashup.  I still haven't quite figured out how to export it so it looks good, but it is made up of 8 music videos and "easier than love" by switchfoot.  the 8 videos were Lady Gaga - "paparazzi", Taylor Swift - "Love Story" / "You belong with me",  Juvenile - "back that azz up", Miley Cyrus - "Party in the USA", Pussycat dolls - "When I Grow Up", Jessie James - "Wanted", and Beyonce - "Halo".  I think it turned out pretty well.  I tried to comment on how sex is the way of our industry, it is what sells and what people seem to want.  it is also easier than working towards something harder, like actual love.

But why do we sample?  It's pretty easy, and sometimes its easier than doing it honestly.  I own switchfoot's song, but I had to rip it to use it.  I also couldn't use any of the music videos that I had in my itunes, it's dumb!

Without sampling, our society can't and won't move forward.  Our society is built on it, bloggers do it, rappers/hip hop do it, intellectuals, poets, and regular people like me and you.  Do we really need to track down every DJ who ever used a 'beep' that someone somewhere created and owned?  Some people say we do, which i can understand, but i don't think we need to.  We are the consumers, but we are also the creators, we need to express ourselves and we have the tools to do so.

I liked the Remixers Manifesto: 1. culture always builds on the past 2. the past always tries to control the future 3. our future is becoming less free 4. to build free societies you must limit the control of the past.  


Basically, we have to let ourselves move forward and learn and create from the past.  

No comments:

Post a Comment