Saturday, February 13, 2010

Digital Storytelling

Digital stories.  A new thing to me, sort of.  I like stories with video, but this is stories with pictures.  Kind of like our audio stories but with pictures to help illustrate the story being told.

The first digital story was from the Center for Digital Storytelling, I like was called: Ironing by Ryan Trauman.  He's from North Dakota and has a masters in Creative Writing.  The story has pictures from his life, as well as other pictures like shirts in a closet, but i like the ones of his family and himself better because it gives the story more personal depth.  He talks about how ironing is something that is very important in his life.  He talks about how he remembers his mom calling him and his brother to come and talk to her while she ironed, and how he irons alone in his basement now.  He finds the repetition calming and soothing, kind of how he believes his mom felt with two boys chattering away while she ironed in her housecoat.  While I don't particularly like ironing myself, I can't tell you how many times I've sat and chatted with my mom while she was ironing.  It is a regular house chore that we've all done or seen done, and will always be with us throughout our life.  

The second story I liked was from the Center for Digital Storytelling also, and was called: Home...in Past Tense by Bix Gabriel.  She tells about her past home in Hyderbad, India and how it has changed so much since she left for New York.  She talks about how she doesn't recognize a lot of places because everything around them has changed so much, until you find your way to this market, that is exactly the same.  How does that one market, or shop, or stand define your home?  I know my past home was defined by the ballet studio and the hot dog man's stand down the road.  How do our surroundings affect our definition of home?  I relate to this story a lot because of how many times I've moved, and returning to a place you left always seems to be different than the place you knew and remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment